With the motto “A Europe that protects”, Austria took over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union on 1 July 2018.
The Austrian government will focus on the following areas during its presidency:
- security and the fight against illegal migration
- securing prosperity and competitiveness through digitalisation
- stability in the neighbourhood.This one also includes the goal of supporting the continued efforts of the Western Balkan countries to move closer to the EU.
In addition, Austria will advocate to strengthen the principle of subsidiarity: the EU should focus on big issues requiring a joint solution and take a step back when it comes to smaller matters where Member states (or regions) are in a better position to take decisions.
On healthcare and social protection, the Austrian programme focuses on four main topics:
- Fair working conditions for everyone
New modes of work that arise due to digitalisation require a shared understanding and common rules within the Single Market to avoid distortion of competition.
- Mobility, health and safety at the workplace and accessibility
Based on the progress made under the Bulgarian Presidency, the Austrian Presidency will continue the negotiations on the revision of the Regulation on the coordination of social security systems.
- Health and consumer protection
Austria will continue the work started by the Bulgarian Presidency on the Regulation on Health Technology Assessment, with the aim of preparing a progress report.
- Women and gender equality
Two main goals are at the centre of the Austrian Presidency’s objectives.The first goal is to promote an open and futureoriented dialogue on gender equality. Second, to advance the strengthening and institutionalisation of the discourse on gender equality on the EU political agenda.
Today Austria will present its priorities to the European Parliament during the pleanary session in Strasbourg.
If you want to know more, please visit the website of the Austrian Presidency: https://www.eu2018.at/
Or download the full the programme here (in DE and EN): https://www.eu2018.at/agenda-priorities/programme.html